Hey there all you amazing teachers out there! 💕
How about spiking creativity in your students by creating their own characters of themselves? I called them Lego Avatars but you can come up with any other ideas you feel may be stimulating and fun for your them’. These were created during the first 2 weeks back to school. We had some newcomers, and our “oldies” were returning after a VERY hard year as you all know. These were perfect for helping children with creative introductions!
Some thoughts I had when planning this activity:
- Children need to be stimulated in their creative thinking (there’s just too much electronic activity going on in the world).
- Children need to be encouraged to use their imagination and not just find things that numb their minds and press the “wrong” buttons.
- Children need to be presented with many opportunities in order to internalise their sensorial and motor abilities.
- We need to offer magical opportunities for touching and manipulating a large variety of objects because it’s ok to get dirty, it’s ok to make a mess, it’s ok to do things in your own uniquely magical way and then we can put away and clean them up together (that’s also part of the learning process).
- These activities teach gross and fine motor skills, they also teach children how to communicate and collaborate and many, many, many, MANY other wonderful things.